As you know, walnut wood is elegant and gorgeous by nature. It’s sturdy too. Due to such traits, the wood is typically used for bespoke woodworks, carving projects, and making high-quality cabinetry. The dark wood with medium hardness is able to hold up things under standard yet proper use. Walnut is known for having unique grain patterns and deep swirls. These are the reasons that make it charming. If you like the beauty and characteristics of this wood, you can choose this for making kitchen cabinets. Walnut kitchen cabinets are one of the most preferred choices among homeowners.
Benefits of using walnut for kitchen cabinetry
There’s no dearth of reasons to choose walnut wood for kitchen cabinetry. Let’s have a look at some of them.
- Cost – Walnut is less pricey in comparison to other woods of the same genre.
- Look and appearance–Walnut cabinets are stunning by look. The Persian and black walnut are even more beautiful. They have a dark classy color and fine grains with color swirls. The grain pattern and swirls make it attractive. This kind of feature you may hardly find with other types of wood. The distinct characteristics of the modern walnut cabinets bring a special look to even the dullest kitchen. Not only the kitchen but also other parts of the home can be decorated with walnut wood.
- Durability – The timber is highly durable and dense. Though it’s not the hardest and the toughest one, it has enough strength to withstand regular use. The wood can also withstand common issues and dents, unlike soft pine wood. Gorgeous walnut is more water-resistant while compared to porous woods such as birch. Since it’s water-resistant, you can wipe the cabinets with a damp cloth with no fear of impurities or water damages. Therefore, you can easily clean your cabinet and keep it in the best shape over the years. You can also choose white shaker cabinets for the same reason.
Taking care of walnut kitchen cabinets
As already discussed, it’s not difficult to keep the walnut furniture in good shape over time. All you need to dust them regularly. You can use a dry lint rag with no cleaner. Just wipe the cabinetry across its surface to get rid of the dust coating. For stains, you may use a little water to damp the rag and wipe away the stains. In the case of tougher stains, a mild detergent solution can be used. However, you should use it only if it’s extremely essential. It’s not needed to wax the surface or apply any special product. Doing this may damage the vanity. Moreover, an unwanted yellow tint may develop over the years.
Wall colors suitable for walnut kitchen cabinetry
The color of walnut cabinets may create a feeling of darkness. Therefore, you must be particular about choosing the wall colors of the living room adjacent to the kitchen. The color chosen for the living room walls should be bright enough to complement the cabinets.
- Light blue grey – The paleness of the color creates a classy look while highlighting the dark wooden furniture. It also provides the freedom of choosing upholstery in any color of your choice.
- Light grey – Grey complements walnut wood in a great way. However, the living room should be perfectly illuminated with natural light to get the proper color effect. Apart from grey, other neutral colors such as beige and off white can also be chosen.
- French vanilla – The rich, light yet warm hue of this shade adds exclusiveness to the entire space. Whether your kitchen is designed in a contemporary or a traditional style, this color perfectly blends with the color of walnut wood.
- Vanilla cream – This is the most popular and widely used wall color that goes perfect with walnut kitchen cabinetry. The walls colored with this shade, the room decorated with dark furniture, and the walnut shade of the cabinet together make an interesting combination that you’ll appreciate.
While buying walnut cabinets, ensure whether you want solid wood or walnut veneer. Buying from a big box store doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be getting a solid wood cabinet. The chance is less. To buy solid wood cabinets, it would be better to visit stores that make custom ones. Therefore, it would be wiser to ask while purchasing what you’ll get – solid wood or veneer.